Website University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg is a public university located in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university anchored in Africa and intent on global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and multiple partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice.
Assist the manager in the management of the department, communicate and develop fixed assets policies and processes and coordinate the internal and external audit functions.
- Manage and implement fixed assets policies and procedures, ensuring that these are monitored and updated regularly having considered legislative and regulatory updates.
- Ensure – Capitalisation of all new acquisitions meet the criteria according to Policies and Procedures.
- Reclasifications between different categories of assets.
- Sign off – journals for expenses that are not assets.
- Sign off – journals to the correct asset clearing accounts for the correct category of assets.
- Perform monthly review of month-end process reports (Cost per account report, GL Accounts).
- Monthly reconciliation of the clearing accounts.
- Sign off – Retirements; Monthly scrutiny of Insurance Claims Register; Obtain approval for retirement – supporting documents, system matching, insurance documents, written consent.
- Retire assets on Oracle.
- Software Development; Oracle; IDU; BI; Hard Cat.
- Do set-ups for example date for the book year; new depreciation rates on categories; changes as per auditor requirements; test application of new patches; changes on system; creating of new reports; correcting of errors, etc.
- Liaison with consultants on reports needed, changes required by users, discrepancies on reports, etc.
- Maintain the input or data quality of the Fixed Assets department.
- Provide support and training to embed a culture where accuracy and due dates is the norm and where staff take ownership and are accountable for regularly monitoring their work and developing internal controls.
- Support Business Continuity by managing business continuity plans and ensuring that plans are current and periodically tested.
- Coordinate, track and manage internal audit and the assurance plan.
- Liaise with internal and external auditors to ensure audit recommendations are implemented and evaluated for effectiveness.
- Work jointly with internal audit to develop and update the internal audit tracking system, follow up on all findings raised and provide assurance that recommended controls are fully implemented within the agreed target dates.
- Assist with ad hoc duties of irregularities on non-compliance to policies, procedures and standards.
- Manage and maintain the UJ fixed assets risk register.
- BCom or Diploma in Finance or Accounting.
- Management Development Program or equivalent management qualification.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Fixed Assets.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in managing people.
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Ability to interface with internal and external stakeholders to carry out duties and achieve goals as assigned.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently.
- Capable of staying abreast of IFRS regulations.
- Ability to exercise judgement in assessing risk.
- Excellent communication and computer skills.
- Analytical skills and detail orientated.
- Planning and organisational skills.
- Business acumen.
ENQUIRIES REGARDING THE JOB CONTENT & REMUNERATON: Ms Morongwa Mametse (HR Business Partner) on 011 559 4014
LOGIN AND APPLY ONLINE AT http://jobs.uj.ac.za
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.